TOXINS AND POISON FOR PETS

No matter what time of year, there are toxins and poisons to watch out for when it comes to your pet either ingesting or inhaling something that could cause illness or be fatal. A lot of poisons are in plain sight, such as plants, household foods or cleaning items. Many people know the foods that are toxic to pets, but not many know the plants that may be toxic or poisonous to pets. Here is a list of a few plants: Autumn Crocus – Both spring and autumn crocuses can cause adverse reactions in pets, but the autumn crocus is HIGHLY toxic. If ingested, it can cause severe vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding, liver and kidney damages and respiratory failure. Azalea – This is a VERY common plant here in the Missouri 4-state area. It is in the same family as rhododendrons. Even eating a few leaves can result in vomiting, diarrhea and excessive drooling; without immediate veterinary attention, the pet could fall into a coma and possibly die. Daffodil Bulbs – Ingestion of the plant or flower can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. More serious reactions include abnormal heart rate or changes in respiration. Dieffenbachia – Popular in many homes and offices, dieffenbachia can cause intense oral irritation, drooling, nausea, vomiting and difficulty swallowing if ingested. Hyacinth/Tulip Bulbs – Though all parts of hyacinths and tulips can cause adverse reactions if ingested, these plants contain concentrated amounts of toxins in the bulb. If ingested in large amounts, bulbs can affect breathing and cause severe vomiting, diarrhea and an increase in heart rate. Lily – This includes Tiger, Day,...